Selection for the Second Course in Atomic Energy for high school students and entrants continues
From June 15 to July 30, the Second Course in Atomic Energy will be held for students in grades 10-11 and entrants, created by the Small Academy of Sciences of Ukraine together with the Argonne National Laboratory of the United States.
Graduates of the course with the best results will have the opportunity to participate in a scientific school at the Argonne National Laboratory (Chicago).
The course consists of 10 lectures, where participants will be able to:
- to trace the history of the development of the “nuclear energy” industry;
- get modern ideas about atomic nuclei;
- get acquainted with the concept of a nuclear explosion;
- deepen knowledge about radioactivity and radiation protection;
- learn about the role of radiation in human health;
- consider the processes of nuclear fission and synthesis;
- learn about the structure of a nuclear reactor, the principles of operation, fuel, shutdown capabilities and the principle of safe use;
- to assess the ecological safety of the NPP, to consider the accidents at the Chernobyl and Fukushima NPPs on practical cases;
- to get acquainted with renewable energy sources;
- assess the potential of Ukraine’s energy network;
- get information on promising areas of nuclear energy development;
- learn about the activities of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the role and place of nuclear energy in Ukraine and the world;
- to receive information on the prospects of professions in the energy sector of Ukraine and the world during the career guidance lecture-bonus.
The course will last 8 weeks in the format of online lectures (with the possibility of face-to-face classes depending on the epidemiological situation) and excursions to leading companies in the industry (in case of improvement of the epidemiological situation). Working languages of the course are Ukrainian and English. During the training there will be a current assessment and a final exam at the end of the course.
Graduates of the course will receive a certificate in case of attending at least 7 lectures and passing the final test with the result of more than 75% of correct answers, as well as the opportunity to participate in a scientific school on the basis of the Argonne National Laboratory.
To become a student of the II Course in Atomic Energy 2021 you have to:
- fill in the registration form at the link;
- write a motivational essay and upload it at the end of the registration form;
- The selection of course participants will be based on a competition of motivational essays.
The motivational essay should contain answers to the following questions:
- Explain your decision to participate in this course.
- Have you been interested in this topic before?
- How do you perceive the present of nuclear energy and your vision of the future of the industry?
- Your expectations for the course.
How do you plan to use the acquired knowledge?
The volume of the essay is 1 page (minimum number of words 250), font Times New Roman, 14 point, spacing 1.15, margins 2 cm.
Course partners: Argon National Laboratory (USA), European Small Academy of Sciences EuroJAS Public Association, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute with financial support from the US Department of Energy.
The First Nuclear Energy Course was held in October-November 2020. According to the results of the competition of motivational essays, 61 students were selected, 43 of whom successfully passed the final test.